Monday, October 11, 2010

Lukewarm

Have you ever thought "Wow, that girl (insert: guy, mom, family) really has it together?

Recently, I have realized how guilty I am of this thought. The saddest part: I THINK THIS AT CHURCH.

At church yesterday, I was walking to the nursery to with a dear friend to pick up our future lovebirds and she said complimented my outfit. I had to look down to see what I was wearing. Luckily, I was fully clothed but it wasn't a fashionable outfit (if you think I'm lying, I've been pregnant the last 3 out of 4 winters). I couldn't help but think of how hard I try to look like I have it together when I walk into church. I won't give you a rundown of why we were late to church (I forgot to feed Annie Grace) or why I had to make a quick bathroom stop before entering the sanctuary (toddler snot on my skirt) but what is my attitude when entering the House of the Lord?

In Crazy Love, Francis Chan includes a chapter called Profile of the Lukewarm. Let me warn you, I've never read anything that stepped on my toes or made me want to crawl under the table as this chapter did. He says "Lukewarm people feel secure because they attend church, made a profession of faith at age twelve, were baptized come from a Christian family, vote Republican or live in America. Just as the prophets in the Old Testament warned Israel that they were not safe just because they lived in the land of Israel, so we are not safe just because we wear the label Christian. " To back this up, Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven".

Maybe I'm due for a self-inventory.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Great Post!! Thanks for the reminder, I'm right there with ya!

Nikki said...

That book really hit me hard as well! I think I'm going to re-read it soon...Thanks for your post!

PHOTOGENICS said...

Great post and I needed to hear that for sure! Thanks Tip!